Friday 11 September 2015

Kalanchoe Care Chapter 4: Pests

Well, it seems my Kalanchoe are a rife with adventure for me. Today's installment will be addressing: "Pests and how to get rid of them!"



Okay, so my Kalanchoe are not in as bad of shape as the one up there.... come to think of it, if they were, I'd probably take a flame-thrower to them.

Fortunatly I have a relativly mild infestation but better to be safe and snuff things out now rather that when they get to.... you know.. *points up*

As some of you know, Kalanchoe are a relatively hardy house plant when it comes to pests and disease but Aphids are one of the few that seem to get on EVERYBODY'S nerves!

Now here are all my little sweeties, mini rose included in the back. (not the same one that hung on for 3 years)










I've already been working on covering them so as to make them produce blooms in time for Christmas but we can't have Aphids setting up house 'cause nothing will kill blooms faster than them nasty little nasties!

Now under ordinary circumstances, House plants seldom get pests but there are 2 exceptions: Outside living and Roses!..... wait, Roses?? YES! Roses!










In all my experience of owning plants, I find Roses as being one of the biggest culprits for introducing Aphids and mites to just about ANY environment. While living outside over the summer, my new mini Variegated Roses were the FIRST to get hit with a case of the creepy-crawlies.

A few months later, my Kals began showing symptoms of infestation. Right around there. In the photos (I apologies for blurriness) you can see both live Aphids and their shell casings. You're more than likely to find the largest concentrations in and around the youngest of budding leaves. Makes for more tender eating.











Excellent! We've found the nasty little cruds! Now, what are we gonna do about it?

Naturally, I returned to one of the more reliable sources on plant related matters: The Internet.
After some surfing, I found something interesting which I have decided to try. This ladies home remedy for Aphid removal with Kalanchoe specifically in mind. motherearthliving.com

Her recipe says to take 1 part Rubbing Alcohol (isopropyle Alcohol) to 2 parts water.

Well, I have a brand new spray bottle (I have 3 more I use for bug spray for my horses) and It holds 1 1/2 cups of water so I need a ratio of 1/2 a cup of Alcohol and 1 whole cup of water.










The instructions continue to say that you should only spray in the morning for X number of days until there are no more bugs but Since they need help now, they're gettin' sprayed now. All sides, in the crevices and their stems. 


Because there's Rubbing Alcohol in this mix, the plants don't stay wet for too long but it's really good for stripping the Aphids of their protective oil-like coating, thus poising them but there's not enough poison to hurt either the Kals or you. The other nice thing is it doesn't stink up the place much. ;)

Another tip Mother Earth Living gives is that Aphids are apparently attracted to the color Yellow so take a little Vaseline and rub it into some yellow "stick-it" notes and place them all around the base of your plant.

I shall post a followup of this escapade at a later date where we'll see if this curious concoction actually works.

Later! A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment