Sunday 15 November 2015

Kalanchoe Care Chapter 6: Sick plant.


Well it took about 3 weeks but we finally got a new light for my poor plants.


Okay, We've had this new light for about those 3 weeks.... I'm just kinda lazy/busy to routinely post. Go figure. Anyway, we've set it up with both an appliance timer (that doesn't work but has an on/off button) and some Macrame cord. Best of all: It doesn't get hot.... though in this house that wouldn't be the worst thing...













Anyway, New light and the plants couldn't be happier and I do believe I'm FINALLY seeing what could possible, maybe, hopefully be flower buds coming in! I can't take any pictures because my Camera is rather senile with closeups. Long story short: ALL MY WORK IS PAYING OFF!!!.... I hope....

Update: one of my senior plants has been doing rather poorly the last few days and I'm kinda starting to panic! I first noticed an excessive amount of leaf curling, wrinkling and what appeared to be some kind of powdery mold.

Fine, a little bit of powder mold is an easy fix with 50-50 robbing alcohol and water. A careful washing with the mickey using a Q-tip and the mold and any possibility of mealy bugs was gone. Still, my Kal refused to perk up.  












Okay then, Time to go back to the ole' ironing board (drawing board) and look up what could possibly be bothering him (or her technically)

I haven't watered any of my kals in about the last 2 weeks a per their flowering routine, but that's about when the problems began. Was it drying out? That can't be seeing as the leaves are soft (almost mushy) and dull but not dry or crusty. Was it over watered? It can't be because the base stems are not soft which would be a sure sign of Root Rot. What's going on???

It looked like a little surgery was in order. So I un-potted my Kal and discovered 2 pockets of unusually moist dirt and a dry air pocket! So It was suffering from both over AND under watering!

For all of yesterday, my kal's dry roots received a little bit of water and some air time while I re-calibrated it's dirt.

After all this, all I can do is hope that it will turn around. I may take it out of it's pot again and let it's root base dry more. :( If not, the then only consolation I'll have is I'm pretty sure my baby cutting came from this plant. So In a sense, it will live on..... unless I get some cool color mutation.




No comments:

Post a Comment