Monday 18 January 2016

Kalanchoe Care Chapter 10: Mysterious deaths revealed!

Okay, remember all the grief of the last few chapters with 3 of my plants (Unknown adult, Yellow and finally my Honey Variegated) I finally, FINALLY figured it out!




It was the alcohol/water aphid spray! Either I used too much of it or I mis-measured the ingredients. Long story short: I myself killed 3 of my beautiful plants! *screams into pillow* I talked to my Grandma (who has something like a "Master Gardeners" degree) about it and came to this conclusion mid phone call.

Oh well, Lesson learned. 

How did this work you ask? Simple: If the problem was too strong a aphid mix, it literally stripped the protective coating off of not only the bugs but the leaves, thus destroying their water retaining capabilities! After the both rot and dry out in about 2 weeks. :( The same would be true of using a weak mix for too long or way too much of it.

Also, the last cutting I had, also died. I think it's too cold in my house in the winter for cuttings. :/ 
Did I mention it's futile to make cuttings from a plant that was poisoned in this manner?...

To be honest, I'm just grateful to still have my 2 biggest adults who are happy and healthy! Plus, I recently got another Yellow to replace my last one (top right) 

I still won't know which color the top left was until I can get my 2 two-year-olds to bloom.

God Bless! Later!
A.M.

P.S. Still looking for a Christmas Cactus.... time to go cutting collection from a friend. >:3


No comments:

Post a Comment